A very successful meeting was held last night at the Spearpoint Pavilion regarding the extent of the odours from the Southern Water Treatment Works on residents lives and quality of life.
I invited all homes in the ward, and was delighted that 23 residents attended.
Southern Water sent 4 representatives and Ashford Borough Council Environmental department attended also.
The Environment Agency and the local MP were invited, but were unable to attend.
The summary of the meeting was that, although residents and myself appreciate what Southern Water and ABC are doing, it is nowhere near enough and reaping sufficient rewards to benefit residents.
A number of concerns will now be raised to Southern and ABC on the point:
– the health effects of constant bad odour
– the concerns over the amount of waste imported from other areas
– the volumes of cake being stored and released from the system and the damage this process is creating
– the degree to which the system can cope given the high degree of further development planned for the area
– A resident visit to the site will be arranged